Jul 25, 2024  
2016-2017 Catalog 
2016-2017 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


Academic Advising

Advising Services primarily works with students who are currently pursuing a degree in Liberal Arts and Sciences and/or General Studies, as well as non-degree seeking students. Students following other programs of study will work directly with faculty and program coordinators within their chosen major. Please note: the Advising staff has an open door policy and strongly encourages all students to utilize the services, which include course planning, degree audit, transfer advising, adding/dropping classes, changing programs of study, and assistance with registering for courses. While advisors are available to guide and support the student, it is the student who must ultimately assume responsibility for her/his academic program. Advising Services is located in the Student Success Center (C129). Please visit us at www.qvcc.edu/advising

Career Investigation

QVCC provides interactive resources such as College Central Network Services (CCN). This online tool offers assistance in career planning and job seeking skills. It also assists with resume development, interviewing skills, and job search techniques. Workshops surrounding these topics are held periodically throughout the academic year. Current job opportunities are posted on the college website as well as on job posting boards on both campuses. For further information, contact Advising Services at (860) 932-4008 in Danielson; in Willimantic call (860) 336-0900; or log on to www.qvcc.edu/career

Students with Disabilities

Students with disabilities are invited to disclose their disabilities at the time of admission to the College. The learning disabilities specialist will assist students with documented disabilities in obtaining classroom adjustments, providing them with equal access to educational opportunities offered by the College. Disability Services is located in Room C151.

Dual Admissions Agreements

Quinebaug Valley Community College has developed partnerships with the Connecticut State Universities (CSUs) and the University of Connecticut (UCONN), utilizing the concept of joint admissions. With the CSUs, this program is called the COMPACT. Students wishing to apply for this program must do so before earning 15 transferrable credits. With UCONN it is the Guaranteed Admissions Program (GAP). Students wishing to apply for this program must do so before earning 30 transferrable credits. Both programs are designed for students who have come to QVCC with the intent of attending one of these universities upon completion of a QVCC degree program. Certain eligibility requirements apply to each program, and interested students should ask to meet with a transfer advisor as soon as possible during their first semester at QVCC. For more information, contact Advising Services at (860) 932-4008.

Additional Transfer Agreements

Specific transfer agreements, called articulation agreements, have been negotiated with many local colleges and universities, including Rhode Island College, Bryant University, Nichols College, St. Joseph College, and Charter Oak State College. These agreements facilitate transferring to another institution, usually into a baccalaureate degree program. Certain eligibility requirements apply to each program, and interested students should ask to meet with a transfer advisor during their first semester at QVCC. For more information pertaining to transferring, please visit www.qvcc.edu/advising/transfer.asp http://www.qvcc.edu/advising/transfer.asp

Changing Programs

A student who wishes to change a program of study should discuss the planned change of program with an advisor and complete a Change of Status form.

Academic Probation

A student remains in good academic standing by maintaining a minimum of a 2.0 grade point average. Beyond that:

  1. Any student with less than a 2.0 GPA will be placed on probation or warning or suspension status. Check the student handbook for specific policy.
  2. Any student who does not complete 50 percent or more of his/her courses in a semester may be placed on “Progress Probation.”
  3. Financial aid academic progress standards require completion of 67 percent of courses attempted.

Students placed on academic probation will be required to have an interview with an advisor and have the approval of the dean of student services or her/his designee before enrolling in further courses. At this interview the dean or her/his designee will set forth the terms of the student’s probation. These terms may involve the student carrying a reduced course load or taking specific courses. Although the student will ordinarily have one increment of 12 credits to raise her/his grade point average to a 2.0, this guideline may be waived if the dean or her/his designee determines the student is making substantial progress toward reaching a 2.0 GPA.

Please note: Failure to meet the stated terms of the probation will result in suspension. Ordinarily, the student must wait at least one year before applying for re-instatement, subject to the approval of the dean of students or such persons as (s)he may designate. Standards of academic progress will be monitored at the end of the fall and spring semesters, and probation and academic dismissal letters will be sent before the beginning of the next semester.