The Advanced English Proficiency in ESL at QVCC will provide non-native speakers of English (English Language Learners-ELL) with intensive instruction in English Language skills needed for academic programs and future careers leading to employment opportunities. Once program courses are successfully completed with a grade of “C” or higher, students will be awarded an Advanced English Proficiency ESL Certificate of Completion.
Intermediate and Advanced ESL courses (Grammar and Reading and Writing) may be substituted as a foreign language/ humanities or open electives. ENG* 101 is required for various transfer programs. COM* 173 is required for various programs or as an open elective.
Both full and part -time ELL students are eligible for this program.
Upon successful completion of all program requirements, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate competence in handling a variety of writing assignments;
- Comprehend diverse texts which are conceptually abstract and linguistically complex;
- Understand extended discourse on contextualized and abstract topics such as in
- lectures, speeches, and reports;
- Show fluency and comfort in the use of English to express their own ideas;
- Write with precision and detail;
- Use spoken English with sufficient accuracy to participate effectively in formal and Informal conversations on practical, social and professional topics.
For more information, contact Program Coordinator Elkin Espitia-Loaiza
Becoming Connecticut State Community College
STUDENTS: The Community Colleges will become Connecticut State Community College in fall 2023; please work closely with your advisor/program coordinator to plan your courses accordingly. Click here About the College for more detail about this exciting transition!